Tuesday 3 June 2014

Linnet and Lark


"Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve wells of water and seventy palm trees; so they camped there by the waters."

The Linnet and Lark on Princes Avenue was once a second hand car dealers and from appearances hasn't changed much, out with the rusting cut-and-shuts and in with fizzy beer pumps add a bit of what is called entertainment  from 'up and coming  local talent' (this goes by the soubriquet of 'The Sesh'; session being too difficult a word to remember) and leave the rest to your imagination. Oh I forgot to mention the large TV showing football matches, which apparently attracts the sort of crowd you might expect it to attract.
The church lurking in the background dates from the time (1897ish) when there were no pubs at all on Princes Avenue, yes I know that is difficult to believe when it seems every building on the street is now in the refreshment trade. It was built as a Pentecostal church but now belongs to the Elim Pentecostals, the difference is no doubt as great as that between selling cars or beer ...

4 comments:

  1. Convenient to have your ale next door to your worship. Do a bit of sinning, then pop next door to repent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my student days some Catholic friends of mine used to pop off to church on Sunday evening then head straight for a long session in the pub. I just went straight to the pub ...

      Delete
  2. I like the architectural style of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I went near a church when I was in school. Pubs, yes.

    ReplyDelete