Thursday 16 April 2015

See how great a flame aspires ...


...Kindled by a spark of grace!

I could not say that I was entirely surprised to learn yesterday morning that the George Lamb Memorial Chapel on Lambert Street had been destroyed by fire. As I mentioned in my post three years ago it had been in a fairly derelict state for years and last used for God bothering 21 years ago. Other long empty buildings have been subject to similar blazes in the recent past. 
I'd heard rumours the Council were going to buy it under the compulsory purchase system but I don't know if anything came of that. Anyhow that's all a bit moot at the moment. The innards are completely gone and engineers are testing the structural viability of the shell. Let's hope the facade is sound enough to be saved at least though it does look a bit iffy to be honest. There is, of course, plenty of scuttlebutt about how convenient this destruction might be for any potential developer, I couldn't possibly comment.



3 comments:

  1. A shame.

    One of our prime ministers would have loved the chance to get at the ruins, and add to the various follys he would erect around his home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your prime ministers seem more exciting than mine; can we swap?

      Delete
  2. Developer or not, anyone would be foolish to lose this lovely shell.

    ReplyDelete