Wednesday 8 March 2017

Amusing Misuse of Resources


Many lifetimes ago I used to use Linux as my operating system, I vaguely remember concerns about the mighty Microsoft taking over the world and other silly nightmares that were common at the time. Anyhow between figuring out the many and varied scripts that kept the computer swimming and wondering how to get a wifi dongle recognised I was made aware of a program called AMOR. AMOR caused a little figure to appear at the top of a window which would then run along and fall off or it would just wander aimlessly around the screen. Utterly pointless and, of course, AMOR stood for Amusing Misuse of Resources. So what has brought that fascinating snippet of my past to mind? Well here on Humber Street an iron dais has been erected which at night time allows a person to have their spoken words captured by voice recognition software and then projected dot-matrix style on the flood barrier at the other end other street. Here's an example from the local paper. I'm sure it's all very hi-tech and we are told the machine will 'learn' to recognise the Hull accent and, of course, it comes with the usual culture-speak nonsense about changing the way folk see public spaces yada yada yada. But come on now, admit it; it's just a big toy and about as much use a wobbly widget on an X screen. 
Oh and as for the Linux thing forget it, I learned to love Microsoft's Windows XP and no, I will not upgrade, never, not ever, do you hear me?

4 comments:

  1. It does seem to be a misuse! You wonder who okayed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best bit is that it will only display words it knows. And there are no swear words in its database, obviously. That would be far too much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, shock, you're moaning again. Is it harming anybody?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous
      Did I say it was harming anyone? Oh and I'm not moaning you will know if I'm moaning. If you don't appreciate what you find here you can always go somewhere else where I'm sure you'll find things more suited to your delicate tastes.

      Delete