Tuesday 23 April 2013

Stands the church clock at ten to three?



The English the English the English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest

Here's the flag of St George, Macedonian slayer of dragons and patron, so it seems, to half the countries of Europe and elsewhere (many Muslims around Bethlehem also celebrate his feast day). I can't admit to feeling any stirrings of patriotic fervour at the sight of this rag so you'll not be surprised that I'm not inspired by suggestions that today, St George's Day, be made an English National Day. There is, of course, no need for such a day celebrating all things English, as it is well known, for the true Englishman (not me, I'm a cad and probably a bounder as well), every day is a celebration of his God given superiority.

It's not that they're wicked or naturally bad
It's just that they're foreign that makes them so mad
The English are all that a nation should be
And the pride of the English are Chipper and me

Today is also the birthday and deathday (is there such a word?) of that well known English playwright William Shakespeare whose famous last words were almost certainly not "It's my birthday and I'll die if I want to".

The good folk at City Daily Photo are having a St George's Day theme, perhaps they took it more seriously than me, I do hope not. Any way you can find what others made of this here.


6 comments:

  1. "Every day is a celebration of..." - ah, I needed that chuckle, thank you! Nice capture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this contribution immensely. Wonderful English photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. being of Scottish descent, I beg to differ......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheeky! (I liked this post A LOT!)

    ReplyDelete