Wednesday 1 June 2016

Un-English Light


Having spent an hour in Cottingham church the other day I have a bagful of photos so I may as well use one or two for the City Daily Photo theme of 'shadow and highlight'. The stained glass in this church is mostly from a Belgian artist J B Capronnier a fact which someone, Nikolaus Pevsner no less, complained about saying he felt like he was in a French church and "It is all totally un-English; and how much truer to the medium English glass is!"  Mr Pevsner's claim to Englishness was somewhat strained being the a son of a Russian-Jew brought up in Leipzig but we'll let it pass, we're all communautaire these days, well at least until the end of the month. 

The church is kept almost completely unlit, so there's plenty of shadow and a good chance of tripping over a pew until your eyes adjust.
Photo by Margot K Juby


6 comments:

  1. You've made me laugh again.

    Hey! I've got a Pevsner's Terms app on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stained glass. The eagle lectern reminds me of a similar one here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous light. I've only seen the eagle bookstand in England.

    ReplyDelete