Friday 9 August 2013

Look your last


Here in all its monochrome glory stands the St Marks Street gas holder. Erected in the mid 1890's by the magnificently named Sutton, Southcoates and Drypool Gas Company this, we are told, no longer serves any useful purpose and so on Monday the wreckers will arrive with long shears to pull it down. It clearly serves no purpose to those who view is limited to the balance sheet and the bottom line. It was built in the days before welding and every inch (and I do mean every inch) is riveted together and that must have taken a hell of a lot of work.


Now I've mentioned before that there are naughty boys and girls who will explore places that ordinary people usually leave well alone. So here is a link to this place at night when nobody else is around (here)

My thanks to @Hoga4 for bringing this imminent demise to my attention.

The Weekend in Black and White is here.

8 comments:

  1. What an interesting and fascinating construction! Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up near a gasworks. There were three gasometers, and I loved the shapes. They've gone now, of course. Your photos bring my childhood back, and I love the perspective of the first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great contribution to the B&W theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! I like the first one. It has nice perspective and beautiful light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it serves as a wonderful architectural sculpture! I've never seen such a thing, so thank your for rushing out to get it's last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This construction work really good as a photo object! Love the lines against the dramatic clouds!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vandals and philistines! This is a thing of beauty. Hull City Council serves no useful purpose that I can see, I don't suppose we can get rid of that?

    ReplyDelete