Monday 25 August 2014

Art deco? What art deco?


Many of Mr Burton's emporia built all across the country during the early years of the last century were noted for their fine art deco styling and this one at the top of Whitefriargate is a particularly splendid example with black marble and gold painted windows. Shame then that, when the ground floor was renovated some years back, this was all thrown out along with the baby and the bath water. 


PS: Following a comment from Steffe I've had a root around the web and come up with this not very clear picture from 1953. As was the style back then everything was monochrome and cars drove on what are now pavements, how quaint. Anyhow I hope you can make out what the old shop front, on the left, was like. There's a bigger version here.


3 comments:

  1. Do you have any photos of the building before the renovation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't personally but I've searched around and found one. I added it to the post.

      Delete
  2. It's an architectural style that I've always liked.

    ReplyDelete